Even if it's used regularly throughout the holiday season, an acrylic caravan awning should retain its waterproof quality for years. However, even the best quality acrylic awning will eventually show signs of water penetration. You can easily re-proof your awning, using a re-proofing product obtainable from your local caravan awning spares supplier. Here's how to do it.
Acrylic fabric is waterproof because it is treated with chemicals to make it so. When the waterproofing wears out, it's important that you use the right kind of re-proofing treatment. A polymer-based product works best on acrylic, rather than a silicone liquid treatment; and petroleum treatments are more effective than water-based ones.
What you'll need
- washing-up liquid
- soft scrubbing brush
- warm water
- suitable re-proofing treatment
How to do it
Choose a dry, windless day for this job. Don't put the awning on your lawn, as the re-proofing product will kill the grass.
- First of all, you'll need to get the awning clean; you can't re-proof it if it's covered in dirt and dried-on bird droppings! To clean the awning, make up a mild solution of warm water and washing-up liquid. Use a soft brush to apply the solution and work it over the whole expanse of the awning, ensuring that all traces of grime are gone.
- Now take a garden hosepipe and give the awning a thorough rinse to get rid of all traces of soapy suds and dirt.
- Hang the awning out in the open air to dry thoroughly.
- When you're ready to re-proof the awning, fit it to the caravan awning rail (don't use the awning frame). Fix the awning roof firmly to the ground with pegs so that it rests at an angle to the caravan side, but not touching it. Tuck any excess awning out of the way.
- Now paint the awning roof section with re-proofing and allow it to dry thoroughly.
- Next, put up the awning on its frame and peg it out securely so that the walls are held taught. Working from the outside, paint the proofing onto the awning, working it well into the seams. It's important that you remove any proofing that spills onto the awning's plastic windows as the substance can cause damage.
- Allow the awning to dry out completely. Once the proofing has dried, you can fold the awning and store it.
If you have an old acrylic caravan awning that has lost its waterproof quality, you can re-proof it easily by following the guidelines given above.